Welcome to the Engaging Learners Academy Course in Grading and Assessment!
Join Dr. Katherine McKnight as she guides your journey from traditional letter-based grading to standards-based grading. Acquire research-based tools that will empower you to use formative assessment as an effective communication tool to motivate learners and improve teacher/student relationships.
In this course you will learn:
• About traditional letter grades: their origin, value, and limitations
• How skill mastery and development operate as indicators of student performance
• About compliance and power grading
• How to use formative assessment and descriptive feedback as the foundation for effective assessment
• The roles of checks for understanding, proficiency scales, and rubrics
• The ways in which quality of assessments can replace quantity of assessments
• To recognize the vital relationship between skill mastery, content learning, and educational standards
This Engaging Learners Academy course will prepare you to address grading challenges and familiarize you with the role that emotions often play in assessment. Most importantly, you’ll be equipped to design effective assessments in your own classroom.