Welcome to the Engaging Learners Academy Course in Literacy & Learning Centers!
Dr. Katherine McKnight has a 100% success rate in achieving academic gains with her unique, centers-based approach. Elementary schools have long used learning centers (also known as “rotations”) but middle and high school teachers have unique challenges. So Katie worked with teachers all over the country to develop collaborative learning centers designed specifically for grade 4-12 learners. In this course you will explore the research that prompted the creation of the LLC model for big kids, and learn how to use it in your own classroom.
You’ll be encouraged to start small, using tools, activities, and classroom strategies you’re already familiar with. Soon, as you walk from center to center or work in a teacher-led center yourself, answering questions and assisting students as they research and explore activities, you’re likely to find yourself relating to your class in a more natural, organic way. Difficult-to-achieve differentiation will almost feel like it’s taking care of itself as all students fully participate in the activities.
In this course you will learn how to:
• Create developmentally appropriate tasks that automatically align instruction to standards/skills based assessment
• Help students focus with short, specific tasks that are developmentally appropriate
• Increase engagement with peer-to-peer learning
• Cover more content and skill development in less time
• Devote more attention and personalized instruction to students who need it
• Create a collaborative classroom community
• Avoid discipline problems with self-directed activities that provide the independence they crave with the guidance they need
• Capitalize on the adolescent’s need to be right with evidence-based argumentation projects
• Relate to your class in a more natural, authentic way as facilitator instead of lecturer