Welcome to the Engaging Learners Academy Course in Math and Literacy!
The ability to speak, read and write is now an essential part of math class. In this highly engaging course, you’ll join Alex Kajitani, the California Teacher of the Year, widely known as The Rappin' Mathematician, to explore, discover, and learn high-leverage strategies that are easy-to-implement, and will get our students on the path toward achieving the State Standards. Specific topics include:
• Inspiring students to talk about math in a way that is meaningful and relevant to their lives.
• Getting students writing about math, and using math to argue, communicate and justify their thinking.
• Teaching students to persevere in attempting, evaluating and solving “word problems.”
• Addressing the negative stereotypes about math that exist in society, and how to combat them.
• Engaging students with strategies, activities and games that can be used to teach the State Standards.
Instructor Alex Kajitani is the 2009 California Teacher of the Year, and a Top-4 Finalist for National Teacher of the Year. He is the co-author of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Teachers, and his first book, Owning It, was named “Recommended Reading” by the U.S. Department of Education. Alex is on a mission to get every kid in America to learn their times tables, and to make this happen, he created the popular online program www.MultiplicationNation.com.
The material in this course is targeted to grade 4-12 teachers, paraeducators and tutors – but all math educators will benefit from Alex Kajitani's enthusiastic and research-based strategies.